Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Hero Inside

The last week my family was at Maranatha Bible Camp in Maxwell, NE. We ministered to 140 fourth through sixth graders, (almost 230 when you include their counselors)  it was great! Our theme for the week was "The Hero Inside". Renee and I served as the featured missionaries and as a large group presenter for Prayer (teaching the discipline) and examining what the Bible had to say on the topic.

Our first night; the featured speaker asked the students who their Hero's are. One student said the "missionaries" are his hero. I was humbled....
A few days later I had the chance to talk with the students about my hero. I told them about our two youngest supporters: the first is a boy our son's age. He went on a retreat with his dad last year, and while there was convicted that he was dishonoring God by having too many distractions in his life. He talked with his dad after the trip and told him of an idea he had to get rid of some. He sold his video games; he gave all of the money away to God, some went to church and $100 came to our mission. Our other youngest supporter is a girl our daughter's age. She had a school project to raise money and part of her instructions were that she had to give away a potion of her proceeds to a ministry. I again was floored when a day later she handed me all of the money she made, saying "you need this more than I do".
I can see why Jesus said that we must have faith like a child! The children of the camp collected donations for us and the camp all week, they gathered almost $600 for our mission. These campers and these two kids are hero's, as well as all of our supporters. Without you we would not be able to bring the Gospel of Jesus to the lost in Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment