Monday, June 20, 2011

Stormy Night

There was a huge storm blowing through the area tonight. I love sitting back and watching the shear power of many of these natural forces. The lighting dances and flashes brilliantly across a sky that has been discolored by massive angry clouds and the wind whips violently through the trees outside of my window, so much so I wonder if the ground is strong enough to hold it in! I love to watch storms. Then I turn on the news and I see that the same storm is causing power outages and severe  damage in other areas. I remember the people in places like Joplin and Tuscaloosa that have had their lives utterly destroyed by the same power that I am watching, and enjoying. How is that? Why do we find pleasure or enjoyment in something that is destructive? Is the power of the beauty more powerful than the power of destruction or just easier to focus on? Is there a false sense of safety that is equated to distance?

I think that there are many things in this life that are similar to this storm. Each of us struggle with something( food, alcohol, self image, too many video games, ect) that others would look at and find some beauty or joy. We can easily find ourselves flirting with a force that can destroy us by watching from a "safe" distance or without a personal experience of how destructive something can be. We find ourselves compelled to it.  Beauty can be deceptive and the real danger comes from forgetting that! There is an old saying that goes "if you play with fire your bound to get burned." Please be careful in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment