Sunday, May 22, 2011

No Power!

My wife's car wouldn't start on Friday morning, which was not particularly odd; we had a torrential down pour over the evening and for whatever reason Renee's car hates being wet (maybe it is part cat).  I was at a meeting when this was all going down. We have some great friends who came and got the kids for school, then tried to give her a jump start. When I returned from my morning coffee appointment, I found my friend and my neighbor looking under the hood of my wife's car. They had done some basic trouble shooting and tried cleaning the up the battery posts and cables, the car was trying to start but just would not turn over. After briefing me on the situation my neighbor had to take his leave. My friend and I decided to take the battery out and to the local part store to see if that was our problem.

The guy behind that counter looked at the battery and shakes his head. Then he looks at the date on the battery March of 2004 (seven years old) and shakes his head again. Before he even hooks it up to his machine, he says "this thing is deader than a dinosaur". His look of judgement saying, give me your man card, your privileges have been revoked. He proceeded to tell me that in our climate most automobile batteries last 3-5 years max. And I was lucky to have lasted this long.

All of that to say this: my wife's car a a systematic problem and it eventually ended with the battery being completely dead. It would not work anymore it had been utterly spent and was unable to operate the vehicle. The only way to fix this problem was to completely remove the battery and install one that is new and good.

I see many parallels to the human condition; we have a systematic problem and left unchecked it will leave us utterly dead. This problem leaves us unable to operate in the way which we are created to work.  The only solution is to remove it and install something that is new and good!
And just like the battery in my wife's car, we have no power to do this on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment